RIVER HOUSE INCLUDING GARAGE (FORMER COACH HOUSE AND TACK ROOM) COAL HOUSE AND STABLING

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1070329

Date first listed: 04-Aug-1986

Statutory Address: RIVER HOUSE INCLUDING GARAGE (FORMER COACH HOUSE AND TACK ROOM) COAL HOUSE AND STABLING, 33, VALLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of RIVER HOUSE INCLUDING GARAGE (FORMER COACH HOUSE AND TACK ROOM) COAL HOUSE AND STABLING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1070329 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 14:50:47.

Location

Statutory Address: RIVER HOUSE INCLUDING GARAGE (FORMER COACH HOUSE AND TACK ROOM) COAL HOUSE AND STABLING, 33, VALLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover (District Authority)

Parish: River

National Grid Reference: TR2951243220

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

VALLEY ROAD 1. No 33 (River House) including Garage (former Coach House and Tack Room) Coal House and Stabling TR 24 SW SP/674

II

2.

House, with attached garage (formerly Coach House & Tack Room) Coal House & Stabling. Late C18 to early C19. Brick; rendered quoins and plain parapet with coping conceal- ing slate roof. Two parallel ranges. Two storey three bay front elevation with rubbed brick voussoirs to windows and band at impost level. Sash windows with glazing bars, all three panes wide and four deep except for centre three-light first floor sash. Ground floor windows are set within shallow semi-circular brick arches. Three steps lead up to entrance in later rendered rectangular porch with cornice, with two two-panel doors and overlight at front entrance and a semi-circular headed window in each return. Attached to house at rear is coal house and stabling. Early to Mid- C19. Red brick in Flemish bond, the right side painted, and slate roof. 2 builds. Left hand coal house has C19 casement, early C19 sliding sash, 2 doorcases with cambered head linings and plank doors and cambered opening for delivering coal with plank door and iron hinges. Right hand stabling with hayloft has left side inserted C20 doors with wooden lintel (2 older cambered arches remain above) and C20 casement in original cambered opening. Two futher cambered openings to right hand sides. Cogged eaves cornice to rear. Interior has brick floor and right hand internal entrance to hayloft panelled with large iron hinges. To left hand side is brick link with plank ledged and braced door in wooden surround to garage formerly coach house and tack room.. This is probably late C18 in origin altered mid-C19. Red brick with some grey headers and hipped slate roofs, one storey. 2 parallel ranges. Modillion eaves cornice and plinth. Right side elevation has modern garage doors. 2 cambered headed doorcases and cambered headed sash with four panes and horns. One blocked window to right hand side with rubbed brick voussoirs. Thought to have been converted into a Union Workhouse circa 1790, a Wesleyan Chapel in 1835, a private school in 1843, and to have reverted to a private residence in 1850s or 60s.

Listing NGR: TR2951243220

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 177838

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing