This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE PHARMACY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE PHARMACY

List entry Number: 1070452

Location

THE PHARMACY, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hadlow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Feb-1990

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 179522

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HADLOW HIGH STREET (south side) TQ 63 49 7/86 The Pharmacy (formerly listed 20.10.54 as House and Shop 15 yards west of Church Street)

GV II

House with chemist's shop. Circa 1800, shop front rebuilt circa 1970. Flemish bond red brick; brick stacks with original chimneyshafts; peg-tile roof.

Plan: Double depth-plan house facing onto the Square to the north. It is 2 rooms wide and 2 rooms deep, the rooms heated by end stacks. The ground floor internal partitions towards the front have been removed to create a shop but originally there was a central entrance hall - stairs still rise at right angles to the entrance hall between the left rooms. 2 storeys with attics in the roof space.

Exterior: Symmetrical 3-window front. The ground floor section was rebuilt as a shop front circa 1970 and comprises curving bow window with glazing bars either side of central front doorway which contains double doors (part-glazed and panelled) and an overlight containing a glazing bar pattern of circles. First floor has 3 original 12-pane sashes with flat arches over a gauged rubbed brick. Stucco band at eaves level and plain parapet. Tall roof is gable-ended and contains 2 front flat-roofed dormer windows containing 9-pane sashes.

Interior: Has no exposed carpentry. It does include some original joinery like the stick baluster stair and panelled doors.

The Pharmacy is one of an attractive and varied group of listed buildings in the centre of Hadlow.

Listing NGR: TQ6341449790

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 63414 49790

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1070452 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2018 at 07:30:40.

End of official listing