This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE BARRACKS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE BARRACKS

List entry Number: 1070512

Location

THE BARRACKS, WELL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling

District Type: District Authority

Parish: East Malling and Larkfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 179370

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EAST MALLING AND LARKFIELD CP WELL STREET TQ 6956 (west side) 14/195 The Barracks 1.8.52

- II*

Farmhouse, now house. Circa 1380-1400 with solar wing of circa 1450. Exposed timber-framing with plaster infilling and many carved braces on random rubble plinth. Plain tiled roof, hipped to left, with off-ridge stack to rear at right and large end stack with projecting brick and rubble breast to left. Return gabled wing to right with jetty on joists and end brackets over ground floor. C16 decorated barge boards, cusped and with pair of owls moulded under apex. 2 storeys; irregular fenestration of 4 windows on both floors, mullioned windows, some original mullions with metal-framed windows in front of the mullions. Boarded door slightly off-centre to left with arched entrance and moulded spandrels. Extensions to rear, including that behind solar partly added c.1970. Interior: Ground floor: 3 2-centred service arches. Central hall wall posts moulded. Chamfered fireplace bressumer, flanked by pair of moulded C16 doorcases from demolished house in Leeds, Kent, leading into parlour. Stone 4-centred arched fireplace surround in parlour. Collar-purlin roof with moulded brown-post on moulded arch brace over former hall. Solar with moulded crown-post on moulded arch brace and 4-centred arched moulded stone fireplace surround.

Listing NGR: TQ6939556552

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 69395 56552

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1070512 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2018 at 12:24:23.

End of official listing