BIRCHLEY EAST BIRCHLEY FARMHOUSE BIRCHLEY WEST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1071005

Date first listed: 16-Aug-1962

Statutory Address: BIRCHLEY EAST

Statutory Address: BIRCHLEY FARMHOUSE

Statutory Address: BIRCHLEY WEST

Map

Ordnance survey map of BIRCHLEY EAST
BIRCHLEY FARMHOUSE
BIRCHLEY WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071005 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 02:04:44.

Location

Statutory Address: BIRCHLEY EAST

Statutory Address: BIRCHLEY FARMHOUSE

Statutory Address: BIRCHLEY WEST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Ashford (District Authority)

Parish: Biddenden

National Grid Reference: TQ 84525 37196

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIDDENDEN 1. 5272 Birchley Farmhouse (Birchley West) Birchley East) TQ 83 NW 3/114 16.8.62. II* 2. Birchley Farmhouse is a C16 timber-framed house originally called Barkley and built by the Randolph family. The north front has close-studding with plaster infilling. Its west end is recessed with its 1st floor oversailing on the protruding ends of the floor joists and a gable over containing an attic window. Bay of 2 tiers of 6 lights on the ground floor flanked by windows of 3 lights. Similar oriel window with plastered cove beneath and minus the flanking windows on the 1st floor. The attic window has 3 lights. The remaining portion of the front has a projecting bay of 2 tiers of 7 lights on the ground and 1st floor with a gable above over-sailing on brackets and containing an attic window. Doorway in the left corner with a sloping hood supported on brackets of carved figures. All the windows are casement windows with wooden mullions and transoms and small diamond-shaped leaded lights. Tiled roof. Clustered brick chimneystack. The west front is tile hung, the east front faced with red brick on the ground floor and with weather-boarding above. Modern wing added to the south. Birchley West and East are additions circa 1905 in red brick part tile hung but Birchley West contains part of the C17 wall painting. The interior contains C16 panelling, and one room has wall painting probably dating from the C17. One doorway has the date 1632 and the initials W R (William Randolph) E R (his wife Elizabeth) and B R (his son Bernard) and one window frame has 'Bernard Randolph 1610' scratched on it.

Listing NGR: TQ8452537196

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 180127

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing