THE DOCTOR WILKS MEMORIAL HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1071118
Date first listed:
24-Sep-1951
Statutory Address:
THE DOCTOR WILKS MEMORIAL HALL, THE CHURCHYARD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071118.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-May-2021 at 11:08:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE DOCTOR WILKS MEMORIAL HALL, THE CHURCHYARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Ashford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TR 00980 42760

Details

1. 5344 THE CHURCHYARD (West Side) The Doctor Wilks Memorial Hall TR 0042 NE 2/47 24.9.51. II* GV 2. Originally the Grammar School, founded by Sir Norton Knatchbull in 1635 and moved to another site in 1874. Red brick on a stone base. Gable. Large window with dripstone over. Above it is a recessed panel with the date 1635 on it. The interior is more or less as designed, with its original fixtures.

All the items in the Churchyard form a group, together with Nos 51 to 61 (odd) 61A, 63 to 67 (odd). 67A, 69 to 71 (odd). 75 and the rear part of No 75, High Street.

Listing NGR: TR0098042760

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
179911
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09650/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stephen Tebbs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].