This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1071191



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Ashford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bilsington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 181653

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TR 03 SW BILSINGTON NEWCHURCH ROAD (east side) 6/68 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul 27.11.57 GV II* Parish church. C12 nave, refenestrated C14, C12 chancel. C16 tower. Restored 1883 by Joseph Clarke. Ragstone, with red brick and timbered south porch with plain tiled roofs and shingled tower upper stage and spire. Chancel, nave, western tower and south porch. Two stage tower on high plinth, the upper stage shingled with shallow spire and finial. Small single western light, with Sydney Arms and 2 dates : 1590 over. Nave with massive C19 offset buttresses, with C19 Decorated style fenestration to south and unrestored C14 windows to north with ogee and early Perpendicular tracery. South porch with red brick in English bond with C19 bargeboard and door frame. Simple arched south doorway with C17(?) plank and muntin door. Chancel stopped in with lancet fenestration (19 triple lancet east window). Interior: nave with western doorway to tower with some re-used C12 tooled stonework in voussoirs and blocked deeply splayed Romanesque window over south doorway. Roof of 3 C19 crown posts and simple chamfered chancel arch, with, to the south, blocked doorways at base and head of rood stair (external vice removed with C19 restoration). Chancel with south-eastern lancet reveal brought low to ground, with carved head jamb stop. C19 roof. Fittings: C19 sedile and piscina in chancel; C14 trefoil headed water stoup by south doorway in nave. Fragments of C14 glass in nave north windows. C20 reredos and hatchment (for Lord Justice of Appeal, Sir Arthur Luxmore). Seven oval prayer boards and 2 rectangular text boards in nave and Royal Arms dated 1754 over chancel arch. (See B.O.E. Kent, I, 171).

Listing NGR: TR0426432956

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980), 171

National Grid Reference: TR 04216 34264


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071191 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 02:58:56.

End of official listing