This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARSONAGE FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARSONAGE FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1071207

Location

PARSONAGE FARMHOUSE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Ashford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Aldington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Aug-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 181592

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 03 NE ALDINGTON CHURCH LANE (east side) 4/7 Parsonage Farmhouse (formerly listed 27.11.57 as Parsonage Cottages) with water pump GV II House, sometime cottages. C16 or earlier. Timber framed and clad with painted ragstone, red brick and tile hanging with plain tiled roof. L-shaped plan (probably hall house with cross-wing plan), subsequently lobby entry, now altered. Two storeys with hipped cross- wing projecting to left, and stacks to end left and clustered to centre right. Two wooden casements with leaded lights to cross-wing and main block on 1st floor, and glazing bar sash, 2 shallow C20 oriels and casement on ground floor. Partly glazed plank and stud door to centre left (re-entrant angle), with exposed jambs of original entry to centre right (in front of stack). Extension of 1 storey to left with conservatory and half-glazed door. Framed interior (with moulded and enriched tie beams) reported by Igglesden (Vol. 13, 1919). Both Desiderius Erasmus (1512) and Dr. Thomas Linacre (classical scholar and Royal Physician) were rectors of Aldington, this building being the former parsonage/rectory, although neither is known definitely to have visited Aldington (then a favoured residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury. (See Igglesden, op.cit.).

Listing NGR: TR0738936130

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Igglesden, C, Saunter through Kent with pen and pencil, (1919)

National Grid Reference: TR 07391 36127

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071207 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2018 at 04:50:44.

End of official listing