This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SURRENDEN HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SURRENDEN HOUSE

List entry Number: 1071391

Location

SURRENDEN HOUSE, SURRENDEN PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Ashford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Pluckley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Oct-1980

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 181133

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5272 PLUCKLEY SURRENDEN PARK Surrenden House (formerly listed as Surrenden Dering) TQ 9345 27/11 14.2.67. II 2. C18. The former service or north wing of Surrenden Dering. The main portion of the mansion was built by Sir Edward Dering, First Baronet (1598-1644), in the reign of Charles I. It was sold in 1920 and became a school. A serious fire occurred in 1952 which destroyed most of the building, and the remains were demolished in 1953, except for this part. This was added by Sir Edward Dering, 5th Baronet (died 1762), in matching style to the C17 portion. 2 storeys red brick. Tiled roof with parapet and shaped Dutch gable ends east and west. Eight Dering windows with brick cambered head linings above the round-headed lights, with keyblocks at the angles and the centre of the heads. Three doorcases with elliptical heads and elliptical fanlights of 4 lights. This estate was not sold between the Norman Conquest and 1928 and was owned by the Dering family from the mid Cl5 until 1928.

Listing NGR: TQ9387745254

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 93854 45258

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071391 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 03:40:44.

End of official listing