TURRET FROM HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT IN GARDENS OF CLITHEROE CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1071555

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1976

Statutory Address: TURRET FROM HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT IN GARDENS OF CLITHEROE CASTLE, CASTLE GATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TURRET FROM HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT IN GARDENS OF CLITHEROE CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071555 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 19:25:09.

Location

Statutory Address: TURRET FROM HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT IN GARDENS OF CLITHEROE CASTLE, CASTLE GATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Clitheroe

National Grid Reference: SD 74230 41569

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CASTLE GATE 1. 5295 (South-West Side) ----------------- Turret from Houses of Parliament in gardens of Clitheroe Castle SP 7441 1/101 II

2. Used as the centrepiece of pond in rose garden to South of castle. Octagonal stone turret with 4 lions rampant with shields at base. Plinth. Lancet ornament with cusped heads, gargoyles, crocketed finials. Inscription records the presentation of the turret, which originally formed part of the parapet of the Houses of Parliament, erected 1840-54, and was presented to the Borough of Clitheroe by a local MP in 1937, in commemoration of the coronation of George VI.

Listing NGR: SD7423041569

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 182769

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing