ABBEYSTEAD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1071597

Date first listed: 24-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: ABBEYSTEAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ABBEYSTEAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071597 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 21:11:53.

Location

Statutory Address: ABBEYSTEAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster (District Authority)

Parish: Over Wyresdale

National Grid Reference: SD 56725 54505

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 55 SE OVER WYRESDALE ABBEYSTEAD

12/37 Abbeystead - GV II

Country house, built by Douglas and Fordham as a shooting lodge for the Earl of Sefton in 1886. Sandstone rubble with slate roofs. Elizabethan style. Two main ranges at right angles form the south and east sides of an entrance courtyard. On the east side subsidiary buildings are grouped around a second courtyard. 2 storeys with attics. Elevations irregular, with mullioned or mullioned and transomed windows, projecting bay windows, and gables with ball finials. Main part of south facade has 4 gabled projections with canted sides, each of a different size and design. To each side of the 2nd projection are gabled attic dormers. Chimneys have tall shafts. The main entrance is through a porch on the north side of this range. Above the outer Tudor-arched doorway are the Molyneux arms carved in stone. The range on the east side of the courtyard incorporates a 4-storey tower. Inside, the hall has 2 moulded stone fireplaces dated 1887 with simple stone surrounds surmounted by fluted Ionic columnettes bearing small figures carved in the round. Small-panelled overmantles bear the Molyneux arms. Towards the rear of the room is a timber arcade. Other rooms have ceilinqs with carved ribs with low-relief panels between. The stair has barley-sugar balusters.

Listing NGR: SD5672554505

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 182573

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing