FARM BUILDING ON SOUTH SIDE OF FARMYARD, APPROXIMATELY 25 METRES NORTH OF OUTHWAITE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1071608
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
FARM BUILDING ON SOUTH SIDE OF FARMYARD, APPROXIMATELY 25 METRES NORTH OF OUTHWAITE FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FARM BUILDING ON SOUTH SIDE OF FARMYARD, APPROXIMATELY 25 METRES NORTH OF OUTHWAITE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071608 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 17:30:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
FARM BUILDING ON SOUTH SIDE OF FARMYARD, APPROXIMATELY 25 METRES NORTH OF OUTHWAITE FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
Parish:
Roeburndale
National Grid Reference:
SD 61365 65638

Details

SD 613 656 SD 66 NW 2/65

ROEBURNDALE OUTHWAITE Farm building on south side of farmyard, approx. 25 metres north of Outhwaite Farmhouse

(Formerly listed as Authwaite (old house, now dairy))

4-10-1967

GV II Farm building, originally 2 houses, late C17th, early C18th and late C18th. Sandstone rubble. Eastern house has slate roof, western one a stone slate roof. 2 storeys. South wall of eastern house rebuilt, probably late C18th, using watershot masonry and with C17th window dressings. The windows are rebated and chamfered. On the ground floor the left-hand one is of 2 lights. The other two were of 4 lights, but have only their central king mullions remaining. The left-hand window on the 1st floor has had its mullion removed. The right-hand one is now blocked, was formerly of 4 lights, and has a king mullion remaining. Stone gutter brackets. Gables have copings with kneelers, and chimneys with weathered offsets and moulded cornices. The western house adjoins to the left and is slightly lower. It has rebated and chamfered windows and a drip course. On the ground floor is one formerly of 3 lights, now with no mullions, and 2 of 2 lights, the right-hand one covered by a later lean-to. On the 1st floor is one formerly of 3 lights, now with a mullion removed. To the right is one of 2 lights. At the left is a farm building which has a door with plain reveals. On the north side the eastern house has a stair wing which has a blocked cross window in its west wall, once lighting the stair. The north wall of the main part of the house has a door with moulded surround and a lintel with carved decoration and inscription: 'WEA 1770'. The figures have been altered and were probably originally: '1707'. The western house has 2 2-light rebated and chamfered 1st floor windows. At the left on the ground floor is a door with long-and-short jambs. This originally entered against a baffle, as the firehood bressumer remains with a mortise for a heck post. The oak roof trusses have collars and tie beams. Inside, the eastern house has cased beams, a C18th fireplace with moulded surround and mantel, and a spice cupboard whose carved door was removed c.1980. A court cupboard dated 1695 was removed at the same time. The upper flight of a stair with turned balusters remains.

Listing NGR: SD6136565638

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
182601
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01638/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles Satterly. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].