Christ Church

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1071626
Date first listed:
02-May-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
Christ Church, Over Wyresdale

Map

Ordnance survey map of Christ Church
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071626 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 14:40:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
Christ Church, Over Wyresdale

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
Parish:
Over Wyresdale
National Grid Reference:
SD 55112 54428

Details

SD 55 SE 12/7

OVER WYRESDALE Christ Church

(formerly listed as Wyresdale Chapel)

2-5-1968

II Church, 1733, extensively altered in 1894 by Douglas. Sandstone rubble with slate roofs. Comprises a west tower, nave with lower chancel, south porch, and north vestry.

Tower has rock-faced diagonal buttresses and a short slated spire with weather vane set back behind an embattled parapet. Below the parapet is a string course with corner gargoyles. The bell openinqs are each of two lights with segmental heads. The west window appears to be re-set and is chamfered with two round-headed lights. The nave has chamfered quoins at each corner and copings with kneelers. Its present windows are of 1894 and have lights with elliptical heads. To each side of the tower in the west wall there is one of one light. The south wall has two pairs of two-light windows, each window with a blank tracery panel over the lights and each pair under one hood. At the far right is a one-light window. To its left is a doorway flanked by Doric pilasters and with a round head which has a fluted keystone. Set back within it is a moulded stone door surround of 1894. At the left is a gabled porch whose outer doorway has a moulded pointed arch. The inner doorway is flanked by pilasters and has a round arch with fluted keystone. Around the arch is inscribed: 'O ye shepherds hear the word of the Lord'.

Set back to the right is a one bay chancel which has a one-light window has a pointed head with tracery and with an ogee head to the light. On the north side it is similar. The east window is of five ogee lights under a Tudor-arched head with tracery. On the north side the nave has two two-light windows to the right of the vestry and one of one light to the left. The vestry has a three-light window.

Interior has moulded pointed arches to the tower and to the sanctuary. The open timber roof of the nave has two bolted king post trusses with ogee braces to the principals. The truss between the nave and the choir stalls resembles a spere truss and has aisle posts with carved tracery decoration, arch braces rising to a high collar and smaller braces to the aisle ties. The pews appear to be of 1894 and have carved ends. The pulpit contains C17 carved panels, including the date of 1684. Wall tablets include one by Websters of Kendal to Richard Hathornthwaite (d. 1816). The windows contain some glass of late C19 date.

Listing NGR: SD5511254428

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
182543
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01641/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles Satterly. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].