FORMER STABLES NORTH OF WHITTINGTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1071650

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: FORMER STABLES NORTH OF WHITTINGTON HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER STABLES NORTH OF WHITTINGTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071650 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 15:23:03.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER STABLES NORTH OF WHITTINGTON HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster (District Authority)

Parish: Whittington

National Grid Reference: SD 59634 76287

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHITTINGTON SD 57 NE

1/203 Former stables north of Whittington Hall

GV II

Former stables, now used as domestic accommodation. 1830s by George Webster, altered 1887 by Paley and Austin. Sandstone rubble with slate roof. East wall of block on east side f courtyard is a 2-storey symmetrical composition, with 2 central bays, with gabled bays projecting slightly on each side. The windows have hoods. On the ground floor the central bays have cross windows and the outer bays ones of 6 lights with mullions and transoms. On the 1st floor the central bays have 2-light mullioned windows and the outer bays stepped windows, with 3 lower lights and one upper. Between the central bays is a gable with an oculus under. On the ridge of the roof is cupola with a bell under an open domed canopy, and a clock face dated '1887'. At its south-western corner the block is linked to the rear of Whittington Hall by a Tudor arch with the inscription 'TG 1831' over. The west wall of this block has a blocked wide entrance with elliptical arch, now containing 2 later doors. On the 1st floor is a Tudor-arched pitching door, now blocked to form a window. The stable court has entrance through its north block which has a chamfered Tudor arch. The south wall of the block has 2 chamfered doorways, and cross windows on the ground floor.

Listing NGR: SD5963476287

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 182503

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing