HOUSE IN GROUNDS WEST OF NEWTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1071651
Date first listed:
04-Dec-1985
Statutory Address:
HOUSE IN GROUNDS WEST OF NEWTON HALL, B6254

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOUSE IN GROUNDS WEST OF NEWTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071651 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 20:50:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOUSE IN GROUNDS WEST OF NEWTON HALL, B6254

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
Parish:
Whittington
National Grid Reference:
SD 59630 74747

Details

WHITTINGTON B6254 (off) SD 57 SE

4/207 House in grounds west of Newton Hall

GV II

House, 1692. Sandstone rubble with tile roof. 2 storeys. A symmetrical composition with 2 bays on each side of a central 2-storey gabled porch and with a drip course over the ground floor. To the left of the porch are windows of 2 lights and 3 lights on the ground floor. On the 1st floor the left-hand window has been blocked. The remaining window is of 3 lights. To the right of the porch the left-hand bay has windows of 3 lights. The right-hand bay has a window of 2 lights, with one of one light above. The 1st floor porch window is of 2 lights. The studded door has a moulded surround with embattled lintel inscribed: 'MN [Miles North] 1692'. The gables have copings with kneelers. Gable chimneys, the right-hand one with projecting stack. Inside, the right-hand room has an original stone fireplace whose jambs are treated as primitive pilasters.

Listing NGR: SD5963074747

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
182507
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16581/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Andrew White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].