CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1071692

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071692 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 17:06:15.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster (District Authority)

Parish: Hornby-with-Farleton

National Grid Reference: SD 58446 68565

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HORNBY-WITH-FARLETON MAIN STREET (west side) SD 56 NE 7/113 Church of St Mary 4-10-1967 GV

II

Roman Catholic Church, 1820. Sandstone rubble with hipped slate roof. East wall has gabled porch of shallow projection. This has a Venetian opening, with the door flanked by windows. At each side a corbel supports a stone bust, the left-hand one of the Emperor Constantine, the right-hand one of King Oswald of Northumbria. Inside there is a flat ceiling. Nave and chancel are divided by 2 Tuscan columns and 2 attached columns. Behind the altar are 2 half-columns and 2 quarter-columns. These may have come from the C18th chapel at Claughton, said to be-dismantled to provide stone for the present church. Dr. John Lingard, author of the History of England, was priest at Hornby between 1811 and 1851 and was responsible for building the present church.

Listing NGR: SD5844968570

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 182409

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing