This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ASHTON HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ASHTON HALL

List entry Number: 1071756

Location

ASHTON HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Thurnham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 182256

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 45 NE THURNHAM

8/191 Ashton Hall 1-8-1952 Formerly listed under ASHTON with STODDAY)

GV I

Mansion, now used as golf club house. C14th and 1856. Sandstone with slate roofs. Comprises a medieval tower of redder stone, of rectangular plan with diagonally set angle towers and with embattled parapet, with additions to north in grey stone on site of wing of c.1600, now demolished. East front has tower at left, of 2 storeys with basement. The basement has a 4-light mullioned window of C17th type. Above are 2 windows with plain stone surrounds and glazing bars. The right-hand one is sashed and has the upper glazing bars intersecting. Above it on the 1st floor is a similar window. To the right of the tower is a section of one storey with basement, and an embattled parapet. It has a porch with octagonal corner turrets and a moulded doorway with pointed head approached by a flight of stone steps. On each side is a mullioned and transomed window, with a canted bay window at the far left. At the right of the facade is a tower balancing the one at the left, but smaller and with square corner turrets carried upwards at the front corners. It is of 2 storeys with basement and has a canted bay window on the ground floor. The south wall of the south tower has 3 bays between the corner turrets which have sashed windows with glazing bars which form Gothick tracery at their heads and with plain stone surrounds. On the west side the central section has a moulded doorway with pointed head, approached by stone steps similar to those to the east. Interior not fully accessible at time of survey. Entrance hall in central section of building has open timber hammer-beam roof with carved pendants. This continues in the dining room to the south. Hall has carved stone fireplace and timber doors and doorcases in Gothic style.

Listing NGR: SD4616757303

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 46167 57303

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071756 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2018 at 11:15:35.

End of official listing