CHURCH OF ST. HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1071774

Date first listed: 02-May-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. HELEN, CHURCH GROVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071774 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 19:05:19.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. HELEN, CHURCH GROVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster (District Authority)

Parish: Overton

National Grid Reference: SD 44046 57576

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 45 NW OVERTON CHURCH GROVE

7/131 Church of St. Helen (Formerly listed under General) 2.5.1968

GV II*

Church, C12th, altered 1771 and 1830, restored 1902. Sandstone rubble with stone slate roof. Comprises a nave; a wider chancel, added in 1771, under a continuous roof; a north transept with organ chamber and vestry, added in 1830. The west wall has a wide coping and is surmounted by a rubble bellcote with pointed arch and gabled top. A 2-light window with plain stone surround and square mullion lights the gallery. On the north side of the nave is a similar window. The south wall of the nave and the south wall of the chancel both also have a similar window. The south doorway is Norman and has 3 square decorated orders and a hood mould. The carving is badly worn, but the outer order appears to have beakhead ornament, the middle order chevron decoration and the inner order to have carved designs. Above is a worn plaque. The east window has a plain stone surround with semi-circular head with keystone and impost blocks. On the north side of the chancel is a 2-light window with plain stone surround and square mullion. The north transept has windows with chamfered stone surrounds and semi-circular heads. On the east side they are of 2 lights and one light. On the west side they are of one light, 2 lights (now blocked) and 2 lights. Against the north transept wall is a gabled porch. Inside are 4 oak trusses with collars and raking queen struts. The original tie beams have been removed from the 1st and 3rd trusses from the west. The west gallery, added in 1830 according to a plaque in the north transept, has panelled pews in grained softwood. The east wall has panels painted with the 10 Commandments and the Lord's Prayer. Set into the south wall is a C18th pulpit with moulded sounding board. The octagonal sandstone font is set on a square base chamfered to an octagon.

Listing NGR: SD4404657576

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 182195

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing