This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CROFTLANDS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CROFTLANDS

List entry Number: 1071782

Location

CROFTLANDS, LANCASTER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Caton-with-Littledale

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Mar-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 182110

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 56 SW CATON-WITH-LITTLEDALE LANCASTER ROAD (SOUTH SIDE)

5/37 Croftlands -

- II

House, 1833. Sandstone ashlar with stone slate roof. A symmetrical Tudor Gothic composition of 2 storeys and 3 bays. Each window has a mullion and a transom, and a hood. Narrow octagonal corner turrets have finials with ogee caps. Central gable has 3 similar finials, and a tracery border enclosing a shield of arms with a crest with motto. The door has tracery decoration and a surround with Tudor-arched head and spandrel decoration. Above is a plaque inscribed: 'HANC DOMVM SITV VETVSTIORIS EXTRVXIT THOMAS BERRY AD MDCCXLV. INSTAVRAVIT RI SPARLING-BERRY ANNO DOMINI MDCCCXXXIII.' (A.D. 1745 Thomas Berry built this house on the site of an older one. Ri[chard] sparling-Berry restored it A.D. 1833). The gable chimneys have diagonal caps.

Listing NGR: SD5264764543

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 52647 64543

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071782 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 01:06:04.

End of official listing