Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1071796

Date first listed: 07-Mar-1985

Statutory Address: WARE COTTAGE


Ordnance survey map of WARE COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071796 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 22:43:59.


Statutory Address: WARE COTTAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster (District Authority)

Parish: Cockerham

National Grid Reference: SD 46172 52777


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



12/68 Ware Cottage -

- II

House, c.1600, altered. Sandstone rubble and cobbles, replacing timber and clay, with roof of corrugated iron replacing thatch. One storey with loft. North wall has openings with plain stone surrounds. 3 windows, the right-hand one with part of its surround removed and all now unglazed. Doors at right and to right of 1st window. West gable has attic window with plain stone surround. East gable has blocked chamfered window on ground floor and a 2-light chamfered mullioned attic window. South wall, mainly of cobble, has 3 windows with plain reveals. At the far left, beyond the right-hand reveal oil a door, the wall has collapsed. Interior has feet of at least 2 cruck trusses rising to tie beam level from the front (north) wall. At the left-hand end the house is divided into a buttery and pantry with paired chamfered timber doorways. Nailed to the post between them is a plaque inscribed '1597'. The wall separating the 2 rooms is of large timber panels with wattle-and-daub infill. The parlour has a moulded stone fireplace of late C17th type, with shaped lintel. The 2 other rooms are separated by a wall with back-to-back plain stone fireplaces. Part of the soffit of the rear wallplate is visible, showing mortises for timber studs, now removed. The house was unoccupied at time of survey (March 1984) and in a semi-derelict condition.

Listing NGR: SD4617252777


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 182141

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing