THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1071797
Date first listed:
07-Mar-1985
Statutory Address:
THE OLD RECTORY, 15 AND 16, RECTORY GARDENS

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071797 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 15:29:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD RECTORY, 15 AND 16, RECTORY GARDENS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
Parish:
Cockerham
National Grid Reference:
SD 46431 52322

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/04/2012

SD 45 SE 12/72

COCKERHAM RECTORY GARDENS Nos. 15 & 16

(Formerly listed as Nos 15 & 16 Rectory Gardens)

II

Former vicarage, converted to nursing home, now flats, 1843. Squared sandstone with steep slate roofs. Main (east) facade formed by 2 parallel gabled wings with a narrow bay between them. Rear range has roof running north-south. 2 storeys with attics. Windows have outer chamfer and inner hollow chamfer. Facade has 2 moulded string courses and is symmetrical. Under each gable is a 6-light mullioned and transomed window on the ground floor, 2 cross windows on the 1st floor, and a stepped 3-light mullioned attic window. The central section has a cross window on the 1st floor. Above is a shield carved with an open bible, and a motto: 'LUCERNA PEDIBUS'. The doorway has a moulded Tudor-arched head with 'I.D. 1843' above. It is flanked by narrow lights, each with a transom. The south facade, of 4 bays, has mullioned and transomed windows with similar details. The left-hand bay is gabled and projects slightly. To the right are stone attic dormers.

Listing NGR: SD4643152322

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
182145
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16798/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Thoume. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].