LITTLEDALE FREE CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1071817
Date first listed:
07-Mar-1985
Statutory Address:
LITTLEDALE FREE CHURCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of LITTLEDALE FREE CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071817 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 09:38:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
LITTLEDALE FREE CHURCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
Parish:
Caton-with-Littledale
National Grid Reference:
SD 56531 62172

Details

CATON-WITH-LITTLEDALE SD 56 SE

6/13 Littledale Free Church -

- II

Church, now disused. Built 1849 as "Free" Church of England church for Revd. John Dodson of Littledale Hall (q.v.) who seceded from the Church of England over the Gorham judgement. Sandstone rubble with steep slate roof. Comprises a nave with no chancel division, and a south porch. Windows of 2 chamfered lights with trefoiled heads. To the west of the porch on the south side are 3 bays separated by buttresses. The right-hand window has lost its mullion. To the right of the porch is one bay. At each end of the wall is a diagonal buttress. The gabled porch has a doorway with pointed arch chamfered in 2 orders. Above is a plaque inscribed: 'A Free Church 1849.... ' The east wall has 2 trefoiled lancets with a central buttress. Above is a gabled bellcote with a trefoiled opening with hood. The north nave wall is of 5 bays separated by buttresses. The western window is taller. The west wall has a 3-light window with plate tracery and a stone louvre at the apex, with 4 gabled sides pierced by trefoils. Interior has roof of scissor-braced rafters.

Listing NGR: SD5653162172

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
182086
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/13076/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Janet M Woodhouse. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].