CHURCH OF ST. JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1071835
Date first listed:
02-May-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. JOHN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071835 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 21:51:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. JOHN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
Parish:
Yealand Conyers
National Grid Reference:
SD 50706 74828

Details

SD 57 SW YEALAND CONYERS CHURCH LANE

4/286 Church of St. John 2. 5. 1968 II

Church, 1838, 1861 and 1882. Limestone rubble with limestone dressings to the earlier part, sandstone dressings to the later chancel, a pebbledashed tower and slate roof. Church comprises a nave, a chancel with a roof of steeper pitch, and a north aisle with pitched roof. A tower rises above the west wall with a projecting battlemented parapet. The doorway is in the west wall, flanked by buttresses and with a pointed head and hood mould of square section. Beyond on each side is a lancet window with hood mould, with buttresses at the corners of the wall. Above the doorway is a string course, with a 1st floor window with pointed head, drip mould and wooden Y-tracery. The south nave wall is of 5 bays separated by buttresses, with lancet windows and with a continuous drip course of square section. The east bay is reconstructed, with sandstone dressings. The chancel has 2 paired cusped lights in the south wall. The east wall has 3 large buttresses with a 3-light window of intersecting tracery with trefoils. The east wall of the north aisle has windows with 2 cusped lights and a trefoil, with a similar window in its west wall. The north wall has 4 sandstone lancets with hood moulds.

Listing NGR: SD5070674828

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
182029
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/13851/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Angela Greenway. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].