CATON LUNE BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1071897
Date first listed:
07-Nov-1983
Statutory Address:
CATON LUNE BRIDGE, LOW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CATON LUNE BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071897 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 15:38:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CATON LUNE BRIDGE, LOW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
Parish:
Caton-with-Littledale
County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
Parish:
Halton-with-Aughton
National Grid Reference:
SD5222364683

Details

The asset was previously listed twice also under List entry 1164038, in the parish of Caton-with-Littledale . This entry was removed from the List on 6th May 2015.

SD 56 SW HALTON-WITH-AUGHTON LOW ROAD

10/116 Caton Lune Bridge

II

Road bridge over River Lune, 1883. Sandstone ashlar. 3 semi-elliptical arches with flat deck. Cutwaters of rounded profile with rock-faced blocks. Voussoirs projecting and chamfered with '1883' carved on projecting keystone of centre arch. Projecting string below partly balustraded parapet. Inscribed granite block set into north parapet at east end: 'This bridge was erected under the provisions of "The Lancashire County Justices Act 1881" at the expenses of the hundreds of North and South Lonsdale and opened for public traffic the 6th day of August 1883.' Part of this bridge is in Caton parish, q.v.

Listing NGR: SD5222364683

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
181871
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01633/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Malcolm Shaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].