Former signal box, north end of platform at Carnforth Station, NGR SD 49692 70834

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1071920
Date first listed:
07-Nov-1983
Statutory Address:
Former signal box, north end of platform at Carnforth Station, NGR SD 49692 70834

Map

Ordnance survey map of Former signal box, north end of platform at Carnforth Station, NGR SD 49692 70834
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071920 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 17:52:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
Former signal box, north end of platform at Carnforth Station, NGR SD 49692 70834

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
Parish:
Carnforth
National Grid Reference:
SD 49692 70834

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 18/03/2014

SW 47 SE 3/73

CARNFORTH, Former signal box, north end of platform at Carnforth Station, NGR SD 49692 70834

(Formerly listed as Former signal box, north of Carnforth Station, NGR SD 49692 70834)

(Formerly listed as Former Furness Railway signal box, adjacent to Steamtown Museum) II

Signal box, opened 30th January 1882. Coursed York stone with sandstone dressings and slate roof. 2 storeys. West wall has 3 blocked chamfered windows on the ground floor, with a corbel table above. On the 1st floor are 3 mullioned and transomed windows with pointed heads to the lights, Gables have copings, the southern one having a round decorated chimney cap on an octagonal base and a blocked shouldered opening on the ground floor. On the 1st floor is a central round decorated panel, probably once containing a clock, flanked by double chamfered windows. Above is the weathering to the station canopy which once abutted the signal box. The east wall is similar to the west wall. The north gable has a chamfered door surround on the ground floor and an 8-light mullioned and transomed window with pointed heads to the lights (2 upper lights being blank) on the 1st floor, Above is a panel with the carved coat of arms of the Cavendish family with motto 'Cavendo Tutus'. Closed 22nd October 1903.

Listing NGR: SD4969270834

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
181825
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].