MIDDLE HIGHFIELD, (SOUTH-WESTERN FARMHOUSE)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1071928
Date first listed:
07-Nov-1983
Statutory Address:
MIDDLE HIGHFIELD, (SOUTH-WESTERN FARMHOUSE), AUGHTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MIDDLE HIGHFIELD, (SOUTH-WESTERN FARMHOUSE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071928 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 09:53:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
MIDDLE HIGHFIELD, (SOUTH-WESTERN FARMHOUSE), AUGHTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
Parish:
Halton-with-Aughton
National Grid Reference:
SD 53743 66966

Details

SD 56 NW HALTON-WITH-AUGHTON AUGHTON ROAD (off)

7/77 Middle Highfield, (South-Western Farmhouse)

II

House, 1628 with considerable later alterations. Stone rubble, rendered and scored, with sandstone dressings, ashlar porch, and slate roof. Main facade is of 2 storeys and has 2-storey porch near the centre. The 3 windows of the 1st floor, in the porch and to either side, have moulded architraves and segmental heads. The ground-floor window on the left- hand side has a large chamfered surround. The window on the right is of 6 lights with shallow chamfer, mullions and transoms. Porch has doorway in left-hand return wall, string, and gable with kneelers and ball finial. Date and illegible initials by the right-hand 1st floor window under an arched hood. One chimney on the ridge to the left of centre. Left-hand gable, coped with kneelers, has a chamfered doorway. The back wall has a cross window with a segmental head, detailed as the front ground-floor window on the right-hand side. Right-hand gable, partly concealed, has 2 2-light double chamfered stone mullioned windows with hood moulds, of early C17th type. Inside is a fireplace with cambered head. Mantel has: 'L 1628 F 1891'.

Listing NGR: SD5374366966

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
181841
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14195/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Thoume. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].