TINTON

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1071931

Date first listed: 10-Aug-1988

Statutory Address: TINTON, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TINTON
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071931 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 06:10:52.

Location

Statutory Address: TINTON, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Ashford (District Authority)

Parish: Warehorne

National Grid Reference: TQ 98718 32459

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 93 SE WAREHORNE CHURCH ROAD (south side) 5/160 Tinton II House. Rebuilt mid C18 for John Howland, Gent, altered early C19, with earlier core. Rendered with plain tiled roof. Two storeys on plinth with boxed eaves to hipped roof with stacks to rear left and rear right. Regular fenestration of 5 glazing bar sashes on 1st floor and 4 on ground floor with central half-glazed door in arched moulded surround in gabled porch. Large gabled porch with arched entry to left return. Catslide outshot to rear, with projecting gabled wing. The cellars, and portions of the rear core reported to be remains of timber framed building. Igglesden (Vol. 15 1922) notes the discovery of older work here. Once the home of Jeremiah Curtis, early C18 leader of the Hawkhurst smuggling gang. (See also Hasted, Vol. VIII, 368).

Listing NGR: TQ9871832459

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 181746

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hasted, E, History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent, (1797), 368
Igglesden, C, Saunter through Kent with pen and pencil, (1922)

End of official listing