CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1071944

Date first listed: 02-May-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, MAIN ROAD

Statutory Address: HOLY TRINITY, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071944 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 14:18:02.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, MAIN ROAD

Statutory Address: HOLY TRINITY, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster (District Authority)

Parish: Bolton-le-Sands

National Grid Reference: SD 48329 67720

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 48 67 BOLTON-LE-SANDS MAIN ROAD (WEST SIDE)

13/13 Church of St. Michael (or 2.5.1968 Holy Trinity)

II*

Church, with late C15th tower and nave arcade, nave of 1813 and chancel of 1846. Rubble with south nave wall pebbledashed, sandstone ashlar tower and slate roof. Comprises a nave, north aisle widened in 1880, lower chancel, timbered south porch of 1880, and west tower. Tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses and battlemented parapet. Bell openings of 3 pointed lights under a 4-centred head with hood mould. Over the west door is a similar window. The west doorway, of 2 hollow- chamfered orders, has a 2-centred head and hood. The south nave wall has windows dating from the 1880 restoration with perpendicular tracery of various descriptions. Interior has 5-bay arcade to nave and chancel with octagonal piers and arches of 2 chamfered orders. Nave has a hammer- beam roof with king posts, the chancel having scissor-braced rafters and collars. Between the chancel and its aisle is a sandstone memorial to Robert Cole (died 1642) with coat of arms and inscription 'It is supposed that he lived above 100 years'.

Listing NGR: SD4832967720

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 181777

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing