This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1071960



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ightham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-May-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 357239

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TQ 55 SE IGHTHAM COACH ROAD 3/1 (west side)

Raspit Hill


House. 1924-25 by M H Bailie- Scott and Beresford for Mrs Fraser. Brown brick with small amount of timber-framing and some tile-hanging. Plain tiled roofs. Entrance front. Main block orientated east-west to rear with two 2-storey half-hipped return wings to left, 2-storey gabled porch with strap-hinged boarded door to left of centre, hipped staircase wing to right and half-hipped return wing at extreme right. Two storeys; irregular fenestration of wood-framed metal casements. Projecting one-storey catslide-roofed wing to left ending in taller hipped-roof arch with wooden bell-cote leading into garden. Garage to right connected by 2-bay loggia-passage with Tudor arch leading into garden and wooden bressumer supporting double-pitch roof. Garage of red brick with tile-hung return gable to left. Plain tiled roof, hipped and with one dormer to right. One storey and attic; 2 casements on ground floor, one in attic. Large garage doors on ground floor, between casements. South front. Hipped plain tiled roof with 2 lower hipped return wings and lower wing to right, recessed, with further hipped return wing over columned sun-loggia. Recessed 3-window centre with central ariel over stone door surround and glazed door. One storey splayed bay on left-hand return wing and 2-storey splayed bay on right-hand wing. Interior: Passage, staircase and upstairs corridor panelled in light-coloured oak. Interior timber-framing visible in space entered through 2 arches from upstaires corridor above porch. Three-flight wooden square-newel staircase with turned balusters. Four-centred arched stone fireplace in library. Fireplaces with inset Delft tiles in small drawing room and spare room upstairs. Dining room pilastered with ribbed ceiling and Neo-Georgian fireplace. All casements individually made with original metal-work. Panelled inner-front door with decorative wrought-iron latch. Wooden sneck door-latches throughout. See The Builder, 24 September 1926 and 14 January 1929; Studio Yearbook of Decorative Arts, 1927: Houses and Gardens 1933; Country Life, 29 September 1934.

Listing NGR: TQ5818454791

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Studio Yearbook of Decorative Arts, (1927)
Baillie Scott, M H, Beresford, A E, Houses and Gardens, (1933)
'The Builder' in 24 September, (1926)
'The Builder' in 14 January, (1929)
'Country Life' in 29 September, (1934)

National Grid Reference: TQ 58184 54791


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071960 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 08:15:29.

End of official listing