CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1072015

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1983

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART, TALBOT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072015 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 16:00:23.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART, TALBOT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Blackpool (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 30726 36433

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 33 NW 44-/1/23

BLACKPOOL TALBOT ROAD Church of the Sacred Heart

II*

1857, by Edward Welby Pugin, enlarged 1894 by Pugin and Pugin. Decorated Gothic. Stone, with slate roofs. West tower of 4 stages, angled buttresses and battlemented coping with tall corner pinnacles. Nave of 4 bays, with buttressed aisles, and nave transepts; octagonal crossing also with transepts, and octagonal lantern to the crossing. Aisle windows of 3 lights. Nave transepts have 4-light window with geometrical tracery, octagon transepts have large 6-light window with reticulated tracery and a 3-light gable eye with archivolt. Octagonal crossing has pyramidal roof bearing a distinctive octagonal wooden lantern with a pair of traceried windows in each side, and a pyramidal copper roof with gablets on alternate sides. Interior: nave arcade of moulded lancet arches on clustered marble columns. The unusual crossing is formed by an octagonal arcade of moulded arches on shafted piers; lantern above is carried on two tiers of hammerbeams in the angles, the upper tier supporting an unglazed prolongation of the wooden lantern above. Chancel has arched ceiling with painted and carved panels and large skylights, and a coved cornice with carvings of angels; chancel window of 5 lights with flowing tracery; elaborate carved reredos. A lady chapel in the salient each side of the chancel. Octagonal pulpit of elaborately carved white marble on a pedestal of short columns, alternately black and red.

Listing NGR: SD3072636433

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 183680

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing