2, CHURCH STEET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1072020
Date first listed:
21-Jun-1951
Statutory Address:
2, CHURCH STEET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 2, CHURCH STEET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072020 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 01:56:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
2, CHURCH STEET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Fylde (District Authority)
Parish:
Kirkham
National Grid Reference:
SD 42710 32170

Details

KIRKHAM CHURCH STREET SD 43 SW 9/19 No.2 21.6.51

- II

House, c.1765. Brick (in Flemish bond) with stone dressings. Hipped slate roof. 3 storeys above cellar, 5 bays with slightly projecting central bay. Chamfered quoins and modillion cornice. Doorway (up 5 steps) has a fanlight under a moulded semi-circular architrave (with block keystone). This is carried on Tuscan pilasters and topped by a pediment supported by consoles above shouldered pilasters. Above, the first-floor and second-floor windows have moulded architraves, with shoulders and ears; the first-floor window has a simple cornice, while the second-floor window has a scrolled top. All other windows have plain reveals, gauged brick lintels and stone sills which, on the ground floor, link to form a sill band. Only the second floor windows (of 6 panes) have glazing bars. Right-hand ground-floor window has been converted into a door. 2 chimney stacks behind ridge. Interior: Hall has fluted Tuscan pilasters to carry beam supporting median wall. Open string staircase has plain brackets and three fluted balusters per tread carrying a ramped and wreathed handrail of mahogany. History: Built by Thomas Langton, a local flax-merchant, son of the founder of the Kirkham Linen Mill.

Listing NGR: SD4271032170

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
183589
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02691/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G M Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].