CLERK HILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072040

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: CLERK HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLERK HILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072040 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 17:55:30.

Location

Statutory Address: CLERK HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Whalley

National Grid Reference: SD 74806 36290

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHALLEY SD 73 NW 2/50 Clerk Hill - - II

House, probably 1772 with earlier remains (Pevsner). Sandstone rubble, painted at front, with hipped slate roof. 2 storeys. Facade has 2-bay recessed centre with 2-bay projecting wings to each side, and has chamfered quoins, band, and cornice with blocking course. Windows have architraves and are sashed with no glazing bars. The left-hand bay of the left-hand wing now has a C19 single-storey canted bay window. The 2 wings are linked by a single-storey loggia carried on 2 Tuscan columns with engaged columns as responds. The door, in the central bay, has an architrave. To each side of the recessed centre are lead downspouts with hoppers dated 'I?W 1719'. Chimneys to left of right-hand wing, set back in centre of left-hand wing, and on left-hand wall. At the rear is a stair window with plain stone surround and round head, and a Venetian window on each floor which has sashes with glazing bars.

Listing NGR: SD7480636290

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 183535

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Lancashire, (1969)

End of official listing