WHALLEY ARMS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1072044
Date first listed:
13-Mar-1986
Statutory Address:
WHALLEY ARMS, KING STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WHALLEY ARMS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072044 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 13:19:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
WHALLEY ARMS, KING STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Ribble Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Whalley
National Grid Reference:
SD 73352 36145

Details

WHALLEY KING STREET (east side) SD 73 NW 2/63 Whalley Arms - GV II

Public house, 1781, Sandstone rubble with slate roof. 2 storeys with attic, 3 bays. Facade has chamfered quoins, band, and gutter brackets. Windows have plain stone surrounds, and glazing bars to their upper sashes. The right-hand bay now has a Cl9 single-storey stone canted bay window. Door, in central bay, has an architrave and a pediment on console brackets. Chimneys on right-hand gable and to right of middle bay. The left-hand gable wall is of 3 bays with band and chamfered quoins. It has sashed windows with glazing bars and plain stone surrounds, those on the ground floor with round heads and keystones. The middle window on the ground floor was formerly a door and has an architrave flanked by pilasters, and a segmental pediment. Under the gable is a re-used C17 mullioned attic window of 3 lights with ogee head. Above it is a plaque inscribed: 'RC 1781'.

Listing NGR: SD7335236150

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
183549
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/02938/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Finch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].