OXENDALE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1072075
Date first listed:
27-Aug-1952
Statutory Address:
OXENDALE HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of OXENDALE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072075 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 10:26:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
OXENDALE HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Ribble Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Osbaldeston
National Grid Reference:
SD 65104 33429

Details

OSBALDESTON SD 63 SE 5/32 Oxendale Hall 27-8-1952 GV II*

House, 1656. Sandstone rubble.with stone slate roof. 2 storeys with attic. Facade has cross-wing at left, and a bay with gabled attic dormer on each side of a porch of 2 storeys with attic. Windows mullioned with ovolo moulding and chamfer, with hoods. Much of the stonework of the windows has been renewed, and some of the sills have been lowered. The cross-wing has a 6-light window on the ground floor, one of 5 lights above, and a 3-light attic window. The bay to the left of the porch has windows with a similar number of lights. To the right the windows are of 4 lights to the ground and 1st floors and 3 lights to the attic. The porch has 3-light windows on the 1st floor and to the attic. The door has a worn moulded stone surround with segmental head and lintel inscribed: '1656 LRO'. Gables coped with kneelers and finials. Chimneys at left, to right of porch, and on right-hand gable. Quoins of right-hand gable wall appear to have been replaced. Inside, the door opens against a firehood baffle. In the room to the left of the porch the firehood bressumer remains, as do 2 ovolo-moulded axial main beams. The cross-wing is divided by a wall of timber and wattle-and-daub and is entered by 2 timber doorways. On the 1st floor of the cross-wing is a blocked moulded stone fireplace with a plaster overmantel with plant decoration and various motifs including deer and flowers. In the centre it has the inscription: '1657 LRO'. A 1st floor window at the rear of the house includes a diamond pane painted with the inscription: 'LOR 1658'. This appears to be genuine.

Listing NGR: SD6510433429

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
183517
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].