CHURCH OF ST JOHN EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072077

Date first listed: 17-Dec-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Dec-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN EVANGELIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072077 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 21:09:04.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN EVANGELIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Read

National Grid Reference: SD 76578 34764

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

READ SD 73 SE 7/36 Church of St.John Evangelist 17-12-1968 - II

Church, 1884 by Ross of Accrington, with tower added 1911. Rock-faced sandstone with slate roof. Comprises a west tower with west chapel, a nave, a lower chancel which has a 3-sided apsidal east end, a north lean-to organ chamber and vestry, a gabled projection on the south, and a south porch. The nave, of 5 bays to the north and 4 to the south, has paired chamfered lancets. The porch is timber-framed above a stone base. Against the west wall, offset to the south, is the tower, which has angle buttresses which terminate with gablets against a stone spire. The bell openings are of 2 trefoiled lights with a trefoil under a pointed head. The west window is similar. To the north of the tower, against the west wall of the nave, is a single-storey lean-to chapel which has 3 windows each of one trefoiled light. Inside, the nave has scissor-braced trusses. At the west end 2 moulded pointed arches with octagonal column and semi-octagonal responds open into the chapel. A smaller arch to the south opens into the lower stage of the tower. The chancel arch is pointed and chamfered in 2 orders.

Listing NGR: SD7657834764

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 183521

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing