Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072125.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 22:25:33.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Ribble Valley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 78298 44309



13/7 Downham Hall 13.12.1977 GV II*

Country house, 1835, by George Webster, with later alterations and with some remains of c.1600. Limestone and sandstone rubble with sandstone dressings and slate roof. Grecian style. 2 storeys with attics. North facade has 2 outer projecting wings of 2 bays each. The central bay of the facade projects with a pedimented gable and a single-storey tetrastyle portico of unfluted Greek Doric columns. This central section is linked to the wings on the ground floor. On the 1st floor it is linked to the main front by 3-sided projections. Windows sashed with glazing bars and with aprons on the ground floor and a 1st floor sill band. The window of the central projecting bay is flanked by the shields of Henry de Lacy and John of Gaunt. Cornice and blocking course. Chimneys on ridge and above outer walls, some over windows. South facade a balanced composition with 2 outer projecting wings: the eastern one of 2 bays, the western of one bay. Central section of 5 bays with central porch of 2 paired antae, a C20th reconstruction in keeping. The west wing has masonry with traces of dressings from the earlier house. The west facade is of 3 bays, the central bay flanked by pilasters. The ground floor windows have architraves and cornices on console brackets, the outer ones with aprons, the central one now a door. On the east side of the house are later C19th additions. Interior has open-well stair with stick balusters and ramped handrail. Library has Grecian bookcases by Webster. Haworth, J. and Taylor, A. [Websters of Kendal.]

Listing NGR: SD7829844309


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Haworth, J, Taylor, A, The Websters of Kendal, (1973)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].