FRIENDS' MEETING HOUSE AND HOUSE ADJOINING TO SOUTH WEST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1072149
Date first listed:
16-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE AND HOUSE ADJOINING TO SOUTH WEST

Map

Ordnance survey map of FRIENDS' MEETING HOUSE AND HOUSE ADJOINING TO SOUTH WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072149 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 15:04:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE AND HOUSE ADJOINING TO SOUTH WEST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Ribble Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Grindleton
National Grid Reference:
SD7727246684

Details

SD 772 466, SD 74 NE, 7/107

GRINDLETON, Friends' Meeting House and house adjoining to south-west

16.11.1954

G.V.

II

Quaker meeting house, late C18th. Squared watershot limestone with sandstone dressings and stone slate roof. Meeting house, to the right, of one storey with gallery. House of 2 storeys. Meeting house has a tripartite sashed window with glazing bars, plain stone surround and square mullions on each side of the door. The double door has raised and fielded panels and a plain stone surround with a semi-circular head with keystone, rising above a lintel. The fanlight has radiating glazing bars. The house has a bay to the left of its door having sashed windows with glazing bars and plain stone surrounds. To its left are projecting quoins, matching those at the right of the meeting house. To the left is a C19th extension having chamfered quoins of imitation stone. On the 1st floor is a 2-light window with plain stone surround and square mullion. On the ground floor is a French window with plain stone surround. The left-hand gable has a brick chimney cap. The right-hand gable wall of the meeting house has 2 2-light windows on the 1st floor with plain stone surrounds and square mullions. Below is a door with plain stone surround. INTERIOR: The meeting room has fixed pine benches of raised and fielded panels at its left-hand side. At the right is a wide gallery, formerly used by women and children, having a front of raised and fielded panels, some of which open as shutters.

Listing NGR: SD7727246684

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
183279
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].