BECKFOOT FARMHOUSE AND FARM BUILDING ADJOINING WEST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1072171
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1984
Statutory Address:
BECKFOOT FARMHOUSE AND FARM BUILDING ADJOINING WEST

Map

Ordnance survey map of BECKFOOT FARMHOUSE AND FARM BUILDING ADJOINING WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072171 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 15:08:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
BECKFOOT FARMHOUSE AND FARM BUILDING ADJOINING WEST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Ribble Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Bolton-by-Bowland
National Grid Reference:
SD 77448 53672

Details

SD 774 536 BOLTON-BY-BOWLAND

SD 75 SE

4/56 Beckfoot Farmhouse and farm building adjoining to west - - II

House, 1686, partly rebuilt 1876. Sandstone rubble with slate roof. Now double-pile plan. Facade has 2 bays to right of 2-storey gabled porch. The windows of the left-hand bay have an inner ovolo and outer chamfer and ovolo-moulded hoods: on the ground floor 5 lights, with 4 lights on the 1st floor. The windows of the right-hand bay are of 4 lights and have an inner hollow chamfer, an outer chamfer, and hoods. The porch has a stepped 3-light mullioned window with inner ovolo, outer chamfer and ovolo-moulded hood. Below the porch gable is a plaque 'W & M HALLAM 1876', The door has a moulded surround with shaped lintel and a plaque above: ' EBI AN.DO 1686'. Both have been re-tooled and are enclosed by a hood. End stacks. The dressings of the rear wall all date from the C19th rebuilding. Interior. The left-hand front room has a stone fireplace with raised and fielded panels carved on the lintel and jambs. The lintel has a segmental soffit and a cyma moulded cornice. The 2 outer panels each have a single carved flower. The central panel is inscribed: 'James and Anna Swinglehirst Anno Domi 1728'.

Adjoining to the left is a shippon and garage, formerly part of the house and having an asbestos sheet roof. At the left are the remains of a surround to a mullioned window with a hood. To its right is a door with plain reveals, with a similar wider door at the far right. At the right on the 1st floor is a 3-light double-chamfered mullioned window. Towards the left is a former 2-light mullioned window, cut through to make a pitching hole. The left-hand gable shows the line of a roof of steeper pitch, belonging either to this building or to an earlier building which has disappeared. - - -

Listing NGR: SD7744853672

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
183228
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16471/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Wood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].