CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1072177
Date first listed:
16-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072177 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 10:02:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Ribble Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Gisburn Forest
National Grid Reference:
SD 76912 56083

Details

GISBURN FOREST TOSSIDE SD 75 NE

2/71 Church of St. Bartholomew 16.11.1954 GV II

Parish church, formerly Houghton Chapel. Mid-to-late C18th, restored 1873. Squared watershot sandstone with stone slate roof. Comprises a nave and chancel under a continuous roof and a south porch. The south wall has projecting quoins and has 3 bays to the right of the porch and one to the left. The windows have projecting plain stone surrounds with semi-circular heads. The porch is gabled with a coping and cross finial and with clasping pilasters. The outer and inner doors have plain stone surrounds with semi-circular heads, projecting imposts, and projecting stepped keystones. The church gables have copings, the eastern one having a cross finial, the western one having an open stone bellcote, probably of 1873, of square section broached to a small stone spire with cross. The north wall is of 2 bays having windows with plain stone surrounds and semi-circular heads. The east wall has a Venetian window with plain stone surround and square mullions. Inside are 4 boxed kingpost trusses. The octagonal sandstone font is inscribed '...(K)NOW THAT ALL CHILDREN BAPTISED HEARE GOD GAVE THEM GOOD LIVES TO LEAD THE ETERNAL GOD TO FEARE. 1619 RF'.

Listing NGR: SD7691256083

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
183243
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/11220/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Cross. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].