CHURCH OF ST AMBROSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072188

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST AMBROSE, SAWLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST AMBROSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072188 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 11:59:59.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST AMBROSE, SAWLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Grindleton

National Grid Reference: SD 76227 45624

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRINDLETON SAWLEY ROADS SD 74 NE

7/99 Church of St. Ambrose - - II Church, 1805, enlarged 1890s to designs by Paley and Austin which included a steeple and porch which were never executed (church guide). Squared sandstone with slate roof. Comprises a west tower and nave of 1805, a later chancel under a continuous roof, a north aisle with pitched roof, and a south porch partly of timber. The slim west tower has a blank ground floor, a sill band to a lunette west window with plain stone surround, and bell openings which are also lunettes with a continuous sill band. Crude battlements are formed by blocks of stone, with corner pinnacles. The south nave wall is of 3 bays. The windows have plain stone surrounds with a central square mullion branching into a Y under a semi-circular head with impost blocks and an impost band. The door, between bays one and 2, has a plain stone surround under a later C19th timbered porch. The chancel, beyond a buttress with offsets, has one bay towards the south. The window is of 3 lights with a pointed head. The E. window is of 4 lights with pointed head, with segmental heads to the lights and with tracery. The north aisle windows have flat heads and 2 lights each with segmental heads. The west nave window is of 2 lights with reticulated tracery under a flat head. The interior has a 5-bay timber arcade of rectangular chamfered posts braced to an arcade plate. The roof timbers are exposed, the nave having main trusses with a tie beam, a king post rising up to an arch-braced collar, and short queen struts; intermediate trusses have arch-braced collars only. The chancel has double sedilia and a piscina. The east window has late C19th glass figures of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Simple rood with the beam formed of one of the ties.

Listing NGR: SD7622745624

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 183271

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing