This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BOLTON BY BOWLAND CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BOLTON BY BOWLAND CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1072203

Location

BOLTON BY BOWLAND CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE, GISBURN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bolton-by-Bowland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 183204

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOLTON-BY-BOWLAND GISBURN ROAD (north side) SD 78 49

13/32 Bolton-by-Bowland Church of England Primary School and School House - GV II

School, 1874 by Paley and Austin. Limestone rubble with sandstone dressing and slate roof. School of one storey. West facade has cross-wing at left-hand end having chamfered mullioned and transomed window with hood and with 3 upper lights and 5 lower lights. Further right are 3 8-light mullioned and transomed windows. Adjoining at the north is an addition of 1906 in a similar style. South facade has gable of school to left with bellcote and with a window similar to that of the cross-wing of the west facade. The entrance is to the right, into a porch linking the school with school house. The door has a chamfered surround with Tudor-arched head, 3 mullioned lights over, and inscribed date '1874'. The school house to the right is of 2 storeys with hipped roofs. At the right in a cross-wing with a 2-storey timber canted bay window, having a band of slate hanging, and rising above eaves level with its own hipped roof. The main part of the house facade has an 8-light chamfered mullioned and transomed window on the ground floor and 4-light and 3-light mullioned windows on the 1st floor. In the angle with the cross-wing is a porch, partly timbered and under a slate roof. Plans deposited in the Lancashire Record Office (PR 3047), made by Paley and Austin and dated 1870, show a building almost identical in plan to the existing school, but differing in some of the details of the elevation.



Listing NGR: SD7885049392

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 78850 49392

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072203 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 02:25:02.

End of official listing