Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072207.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 23:58:28.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Ribble Valley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 76580 50451



SD 75 SE

4/41 Alder House 16.11.1954 - II*

House, 'TW 1708' on plaque. Sandstone rubble with stone slate roof. Double-pile plan with end stacks and central 3-storey gabled porch. 3 storeys. Windows have an inner cyma moulding and outer chamfer. On each side of the porch, on the ground and first floor, is an 8-light mullioned and transomed window with hood. On the 2nd floor, on each side, is a 3-light stepped mullioned window. The upper storeys of the porch oversail on a moulded string. On the 1st floor is a 6-light mullioned and transomed window with a stepped head, a segmental head to the lower central light, and a hood with spiral stops. On the 2nd floor is a stepped mullioned window with segmental heads to the lights and with a hood with spiral stops. The outer doorway is chamfered with a shaped lintel, with a date plaque over, and with a hood with spiral stops. The inner doorway is cyma moulded with a Tudor arch. The porch and right-hand gables have copings with footstones. At the rear are a 5-light mullioned window and 2 cross windows, with inner ovolo and outer chamfer, a one-light ovolo- moulded window with shaped head, and several windows with re-used C17th dressings. Inside there is a stair with 2 flights of stone around a closed well, continuing up to the 2nd floor as an open-well closed- string stair with square newels and turned balusters. On the 1st floor there is oak partitioning, and doors, of raised and fielded panels. The only roof truss visible at time of survey has an interrupted tie beam above floor level, braced downwards to a main floor joist.

Listing NGR: SD7658050451


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/11562/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].