BRENNAND'S ENDOWED SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1072224

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Nov-1983

Statutory Address: BRENNAND'S ENDOWED SCHOOL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRENNAND'S ENDOWED SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072224 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 11:45:45.

Location

Statutory Address: BRENNAND'S ENDOWED SCHOOL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Slaidburn

National Grid Reference: SD7103352142

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 7052-7152 SLAIDBURN CHURCH STREET (EAST SIDE)

17/97 Brennand's Endowed school 16.11.1954 (Formerly listed as Slaidburn School)

GV II*

School, early C18th. Squared limestone rubble with sandstone dressings and stone slate roof. 2 storeys. The west facade is a 7-bay symmetrical composition having quoins with channelled rustication and a string course. The ovolo-moulded cross windows have architraves and glazing bars. The central 1st floor window has a head carved on its lintel. The door, in the central bay, has an architrave with a worn carved head on the lintel. It is flanked by fluted pilasters supporting an open segmental pediment. Within the pediment is an inscribed slate with moulded border: 'THIS GRAMMAR SCHOOL was Erected and Endowed by JOHN BRENNAND late of Panehill in this Parish, Gentleman, who died the 15th day of May in the Year of our LORD 1717'. Both gable walls have 2 blocked windows on each floor, similar to those at the front, 2 string courses, a circular opening at attic level with plain stone surround, and a gable coping. At the rear is a single-storey wing with 2 bays facing south. The left-hand bay has a cross window similar to those at the front. To the south of the wing are 3 bays of the main building facing east, having windows similar to those at the front of the building, except for the right-hand ground-floor window, which is modern. Interior; The 1st floor was removed c.1880; the main building now comprises a single large room with a flat ceiling with some later C19th plaster decoration.

Listing NGR: SD7103352142

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 183148

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing