This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FRIENDS' MEETING HOUSE AND COTTAGE ADJOINING TO SOUTH WEST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FRIENDS' MEETING HOUSE AND COTTAGE ADJOINING TO SOUTH WEST

List entry Number: 1072245

Location

FRIENDS' MEETING HOUSE AND COTTAGE ADJOINING TO SOUTH WEST, BACK LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Newton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 183095

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 6950 18/44

NEWTON, BACK LANE, Friends' Meeting House and cottage adjoining to south-west

II

Quaker meeting house, 1767. Slobbered limestone rubble with sandstone dressings. The front of the roof has blue slates, the rear pitch having stone slates. One and 2 storeys, with a cellar under the right-hand (north-east) end. The windows are of lights with plain stone surrounds and square mullions. The cottage is of one bay and 2 storeys with a door to the right with plain stone surround and hood of 2 pitched stone slates. Above is a plaque with a moulded border: 'TBM 1767'. The meeting house, to the right, is of 3 bays with bays one and 2 having windows on the ground floor only. The windows to the right-hand bay have small panes. The door, between bays one and 2, has a plain stone surround and a hood of 2 pitched stone slates. The cellar door, at the right-hand end, has a plain stone surround. At the rear of the cottage there is a later outshut. Interior. Against the rear wall is a raised bench with a front of raised and fielded panels. The right-hand end is divided from the main room by a wall of raised and fielded panelling. Above this end is a gallery. The panels between the room beneath and the main room open as shutters.

Listing NGR: SD6951750414

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 69517 50414

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072245 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 09:21:06.

End of official listing