THE OLD READING ROOM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072248

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Nov-1983

Statutory Address: THE OLD READING ROOM

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD READING ROOM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072248 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 08:13:51.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD READING ROOM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Newton

National Grid Reference: SD 69693 50468

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 6950 NEWTON NEWTON VILLAGE

The Old Reading Room (formerly listed 18/53 as Reading Room and County Library) 16.11.1954 GV II

House, late C18th and 1830. Restored in the 1960s when a 3rd storey was removed. Limestone rubble with sandstone dressings and slate roof. 2 storeys. South wall has furrowed quoins. To the right is a 2-light window with plain stone surround and square mullion. To its left is a door with plain stone surround. Further left is a wide opening with segmental head and furrowed voussoirs. On the 1st floor is a 6-light weaving window with square mullions. Stone gutter brackets. The rear wall is partly built into the hillside. The low ground-floor windows have plain stone surrounds. The two 1st floor windows have plain stone surrounds, the left-hand one being of 2 lights with a square mullion. The central doorway is approached by stone steps and has a plain stone surround with semi-circular head, projecting keystone and imposts. - The tympanum is of worn sandstone inscribed 'APN 1830'.

Listing NGR: SD6969350468

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 183104

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing