HIGHER BIRKETT FARMHOUSE AND BUILDINGS ADJOINING TO THE EAST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072255

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1983

Statutory Address: HIGHER BIRKETT FARMHOUSE AND BUILDINGS ADJOINING TO THE EAST

Map

Ordnance survey map of HIGHER BIRKETT FARMHOUSE AND BUILDINGS ADJOINING TO THE EAST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072255 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 19:21:11.

Location

Statutory Address: HIGHER BIRKETT FARMHOUSE AND BUILDINGS ADJOINING TO THE EAST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Newton

National Grid Reference: SD 68187 49070

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 64 NE NEWTON

Higher Birkett Farmhouse and 14/65 buildings adjoining to the east

II

House, late C18th, with former house of 1686 adjoinig. Sandstone rubble with slate roof. The present house is of double-pile plan with central entry and end stacks. 2 storeys, 3 bays. The windows have plain stone surrounds, the right-hand ground-floor one having 2 square mullions. The door has a plain stone surround. The former house, to the right, has a continuous drip course on the ground and first floors. At the left on the ground floor it rises over a former opening, but is now truncated by the present house. On the ground floor is a 2-light window with plain stone surround and square mullion. To the right is a one-light rebated and chamfered window with segmental head. On the 1st floor are 2 3-light rebated and chamfered mullioned windows. At the rear is a door and a window, both with plain stone surrounds. Adjoining to the east is a barn having a wide entrance with plain reveals, with a door with plain stone surround to its right. On the 1st floor are 2 pitching doors with plain reveals. At the rear is a re-set chamfered door surround with triangular head. Inside the old house, on the 1st floor against the west wall, is a plaster panel on a former chimney breast with decoration of plant stems with leaves and acorns. In raised letters are the initials 'RLA' and date '1686'.

Listing NGR: SD6818749070

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 183116

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing