WOLFEN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072289

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1983

Statutory Address: WOLFEN HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of WOLFEN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072289 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 07:37:57.

Location

Statutory Address: WOLFEN HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Chipping

National Grid Reference: SD 60656 44752

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 64 SW CHIPPING

4/103 Wolfen Hall II

House, possibly Cl6th, altered 1867-8. Slobbered rubble with steep slate roof. 2 storeys, 2 bays, with end stacks. Windows have plain stone surrounds with wooden casements. The door, between the bays, has plain reveals. The chimney caps have copings and weathered offsets. At the rear is a parallel range which appears to be of a later date. Interior. The right-hand room has, in its rear wall, a blocked 5-light tall wooden- mullioned window with wooden lintel and sill and splayed wooden jambs. Between the hall and the left-hand room is a timber-framed wall which rises through the 1st floor. A main post, against the front wall of the house, is tenoned into the tie beam at 1st floor ceiling level. The rear wall of the left-hand room, separating it from the stair hall at the rear, is also timber framed with many redundant peg holes suggesting re-use or reconstruction. Between the entrance hall and stair hall is a chamfered wooden door surround with 4-centred head. The dog-leg stair has been reconstructed but retains its C17th handrail and moulded newel. A stone wall, now dividing the rear wing but formerly an external wall, has a blocked window with wooden mullions. A drawing in the Weld collection at the Harris Art Gallery, Preston, dated 1841, shows the house extending further to the right (north-east) where a later Cl9th extension now adjoins. The drawing also shows a chamfered doorway with an ogee head. This feature is not necessarily of medieval date. Smith, T.C. History of Chipping. Preston, 1894, p. 226.



Listing NGR: SD6065644752

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 182989

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Smith, TC , History of Chipping, (1894), 226

End of official listing