HESKETH END

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1072316
Date first listed:
29-Dec-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
22-Nov-1983
Statutory Address:
HESKETH END, JUDD HOLMES LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HESKETH END
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072316 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 15:36:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
HESKETH END, JUDD HOLMES LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Ribble Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Chipping
National Grid Reference:
SD 61327 41049

Details

SD 64 SW CHIPPING JUDD HOLMES LANE (OFF)

4/69 Hesketh End 29.12.52 (formerly listed as Hesketh End Farmhouse under Hesketh Lane)

GV I

House 1591 and early C17th, restored 1907. Coursed sandstone rubble, the front wall of the north range rebuilt with punched ashlar, the side and rear walls pebbledashed. Stone slate roof. Comprises a north range with a cross-wing at the southern end. 2 storeys with attic. The front wall of the north range has 2 3-light double-chamfered mullioned windows on each floor, which, together with the chamfered door surround between them, date from the 1907 restoration. Re-set in the wall are the following inscribed stones: 'RIC AVLSTV', 'ALSTUN HATH INHERITED HERE IB 18 YER', and the sacred monogram between two crosses. The front wall of the cross wing has a 7-light mullioned window with outer chamfer and inner hollow chamfer, with hood, on each floor. A similar window of 2 lights serves the attic, with the sacred monogram and a roundel above under a hood. Above the ground floor window is a continuous inscription two lines high, protected by a continuous drip course:

'BRVTVS ERECTVS LON CESAR CONQVERT AN SAXONII CONQVERT ANGLIA

DINV ANTE CHRIST 1108 GLIA ANTE CHRIST 58 ANNO DON 447 EPISCOPAT IB

DANII CONQVERT ANGLIA IN CO AGER FLODDAN AN 1513 ANGLIA ANNO DOI 1018 M. SIVE. SHIRI ANGL RECEP. FIDM AD 179'.

This continues on-the right-hand return wall:

'ANNO DOMI 1591 ELIS REGI ROBART ALSTVN 25 A CREACIONE MVNDI REGNO ANNI ETATIS NOSTRE RIC ALSTVN IVNIOR 5 TO ANGLIE 524 DEVM

5553 A CONQVES TIME REGEM HONOR'.

At the left-hand side of this wall is a blocked one-light chamfered window with 'Richarde Alstun 53' on the lintel. To the right is a chamfered door surround with triangular head, hood, and lintel inscribed: 'RESPICE FINEM ET NVNQV AM PECCABIS PROXIMUM AMA'. On the 1st floor is a 3-light window similar to those on the front wall and a piece of stone gutter with the gargoyle broken off. The left-hand return wall of the cross-wing has a projecting stack. To its right is a blocked one-light chamfered window, with a 2-light window on the 1st floor similar to those on the 1st floor. At eaves level a gargoyle projects from the chimney, with a second in the front angle with the main wall. The rear wall of the house has sashed windows with plain reveals. Interior. The present front door enters in line with the right-hand fireplace, which is shouldered with a segmental head. Backing onto it at the left is a C18th fireplace, moulded and shouldered with a cornice mantel. The rear door into the cross wing has 'Fear God and love the right' over it. The front room of the cross-wing has a blocked chamfered fireplace and decorated panel. The front 1st floor room of the cross-wing has 2 fragments of clustered columns in plaster, a chamfered fireplace and an inscribed stone. V.C.H. Vol. 7 pp. 30, 31.



Listing NGR: SD6132741049

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
182955
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1912), 30-31

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/02858/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr K. Foster. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].