THE GAZEBO AT ROSSALL SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072421

Date first listed: 31-Mar-1978

Statutory Address: THE GAZEBO AT ROSSALL SCHOOL, BROADWAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GAZEBO AT ROSSALL SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072421 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 19:45:59.

Location

Statutory Address: THE GAZEBO AT ROSSALL SCHOOL, BROADWAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Wyre (District Authority)

Parish: Fleetwood

National Grid Reference: SD 31390 44847

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5299 BROADWAY The Gazebo at Rossall School SD 34 SW 1/44 GV II

2. Early C18. Probably built either by Richard Fleetwood, who died in 1709, or his son Edward, the last Fleetwood in direct line, who died in 1757. Achievement of arms of Fleetwood over door. Red brick. Ashlar dressings. West elevation is of channelled ashlar (of Moresby Hall, Cumberland). Flat stone-paved roof on brick tunnel vaults. Moulded eaves cornice. Crenellated parapet with 3 moulded oculi per side. Channelled quoins. East side has 2 flights of 7 stone steps, converging on door With channelled jambs and voussoirs, which leads to an internal stone staircase to roof. 3 aspidal brick recesses on remaining sides. History The Gazebo was built in the grounds of Rossall Hall, which until 1931 stood on the site of Rossall School Dining Hall: the gazebo was axially placed opposite the front door. Before the Reformation Rossall was a grange of Deulacres Abbey, Staffs, and was tenanted by George Allen, whose cousin was Abbot of Deulacres. George Allen's younger grandson was the famous Cardinal William Allen (1532-94), founder of the English seminary at Douai, who was born and brought up here. The Cardinal's elder brother, Richard, was the last heir male, and on his death in 1583, his widow and their 3 daughters forfeited their goods and property for recusancy and fled to the Cardinal's protection at Rheims. Rossall passed to Edmund Fleetwood, whose father had purchased the reversion of the lease at the Dissolution. Thence it descended through the Fleetwoods and the Fleetwood-Heskeths. until Sir Peter Hesketh- Fleetwood (1801-66) gave it to Rossall School in 1844.)

Listing NGR: SD3139044847

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 184731

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing