LOWER CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072438

Date first listed: 27-Sep-1984

Statutory Address: LOWER CHAPEL, CHAPELS

Map

Ordnance survey map of LOWER CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072438 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 09:41:51.

Location

Statutory Address: LOWER CHAPEL, CHAPELS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Blackburn with Darwen (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 69433 23147

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 62 SE DARWEN CHAPELS

4/15 Lower Chapel - GV II

Congregational chapel, 1719, improved 1753, rebuilt and enlarged 1853 and 1883. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins, slate roof with stone gable copings and kneelers. Rectangular 5-bay plan, with some later additions on north side and at west end. Two storeys, in domestic vernacular style. Entrance in east gable wall, which is later C19 and has in the centre a single storey porch with roof gabled in the centre monopitched at each side, above this three 5-light windows, and incorporates datestones of 1719, 1753, 1853 and 1883. South wall has raised doorway at east end, and five 3-light mullioned windows on each floor: those below have chamfered surrounds and chamfered mullions, those above have thin flush mullions (walls raised 1853). North wall has similar windows, some at ground floor obscured or replaced by small outbuildings; west gable wall is partly covered by overlapping extension of 2 lower storeys which has a door at ground floor and 2 ogival-headed windows above. Interior altered. History: originally built by Nonconformist congregation which had disputed ownership of old parochial chapel, and erected by their own labour. (References: Abram History of Blackburn: Shaw Darwen and its [People),

Listing NGR: SD6943323147

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 184686

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Abram, W A, History of Blackburn, (1877)
Shaw, J G, Darwen and its People, (1889)

End of official listing