BROWN HOUSE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1072484
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
BROWN HOUSE FARMHOUSE, BROWN HOUSE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BROWN HOUSE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072484 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:08:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
BROWN HOUSE FARMHOUSE, BROWN HOUSE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Chorley (District Authority)
Parish:
Wheelton
National Grid Reference:
SD 60682 22630

Details

WHEELTON BROWN HOUSE LANE SD 62 SW Higher Wheelton 6/206 Brown House Farmhouse 17.4.67 - II

Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1697 on lintel, enlarged in C18; altered. Coursed sandstone rubble, stone slate roof with gable copings and kneelers, brick chimneys. Two-bay end-baffle-entry plan with shallow rear outshut to 1st bay now covered by full-with double-depth addition built at right angles. Two storeys; high chamfered plinth; doorway at right hand end (in line with gable chimney) has moulded surround, the moulding on the lintel stepped over a square recess containing a "4-leaf clover", and hoodmould run out to left over a recessed 5-light mullioned window lacking 2 mullions; above the hoodmould over the door a recessed decorated datestone lettered in relief R ; lst bay has a recessed 3-light mullion window R G 1697 with hoodmould, 1st floor has at right end above door a similar 2-light window, and 2 other windows, both with a remaining chamfered flush mullion. Added chimney on centre of ridge. Left gable wall has an altered window with remains of a hoodmould at ground floor, and 2 and 3-light windows above, both with hoodmoulds, the former lacking one mullion. Modern lean-to extension covers junction with rear wing, which has altered flat mullion windows on both floors on this side (possibly formerly a loomshop) and on the other side 2 doors and 2 windows at ground floor, altered flat mullion windows above. Interior: altered, but front part of 1st bay (former parlour) has one stop-chamfered beam.



Listing NGR: SD6068222630

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
184460
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].